Due to the increasing popularity of self-directed retirement plans for investing in real estate and other alternative investment ventures, and, the relative paucity of legal experts to assist and advise clients in this area, we established a law practice devoted exclusively to representing clients who want to take advantage of the opportunity to use their retirement funds to make investments well beyond the menu of investments offered by traditional brokers and investment firms. Investing in alternative investments allowed by self-directed retirement plans can provide clients with more stable rates of return while realizing tax-deferred income and protection of their retirement assets.
Who We Are
- We are a law office devoted solely and exclusively to assisting our clients with the formation, operation, and compliance issues in connection with their self-directed retirement plans. This includes self-directed traditional IRAs, self-directed Roth IRAs, SEPs, and 401ks.
- We have a combined experience of over 30 years practicing tax and IRA law.
- We are committed to using our legal experience and expertise to help our clients achieve their investment and financial goals.
What We Do
- We provide everything a client needs to establish and operate his or her self-directed retirement plan.
- We help ensure that no client experiences a prohibited transaction that would invalidate their retirement plan and that our clients stay in full compliance with all relevant tax laws respecting their plan.
- We provide a range of ancillary services that a client who operates a self-directed retirement plan may need such as tax preparation, contract review and drafting, continuing legal advice, and assistance in the purchase or sale of a business.
Shellie H. Hart, Jr. is the founder and managing attorney of IRA Lawyers. He has established this firm and an affiliated company, IRAVillage.com, to enable clients to affordably meet their legal needs with regard to any aspect of using self-directed retirement plans.
Mr. Hart, prior to forming IRA Village, was most recently tax counsel to Intel Corporation responsible for ensuring legal and tax compliance for all of Intel’s retirement plans including profit-sharing and pension plans. In that position Mr. Hart developed the expertise to advise his own clients on any aspect of their Self-directed IRA LLC or other retirement plans.
Prior to his 13 year tenure at Intel Mr. Hart was tax counsel to the internationally known consulting firm McKinsey & Company and served as tax counsel for Time- Warner, Inc.
Mr. Hart, a native of Evanston Illinois, graduated from Princeton University with an A.B. degree in Economics and received his MBA and JD from Northwestern University. He also attended the NYU School of Law Graduate Tax Program. Mr. Hart offers his clients over 25 years of tax and legal experience.